Internal Medicine & Medical Weight Loss
What is Obesity Medicine?
Obesity medicine is the field of medicine dedicated to the comprehensive care of patients with obesity. Obesity medicine clinicians who are members of the Obesity Medicine Association use a comprehensive, scientific, and individualized approach comprised of nutrition, physical activity, behavior therapy, and medication to help patients lose weight and achieve better overall health.
As a physician of Obesity Medicine, Dr. Thomas will:
- Obtain a comprehensive weight history, working to identify contributors to the weight gain – ie. Medications, metabolic derangements, sleep apnea, diabetes, lifestyle issues, etc.
- Workup and identify any consequences of the weight gain, such hypertension, insulin resistance, diabetes, hyperlipidemia, sleep apnea, etc.
- Make recommendations regarding current medications that may be leading to weight gain or inhibiting weight loss efforts
- Make lifestyle recommendations with regards to dietary changes and exercise and help patients set reasonable expectations and goals based on the amount of change they are ready and willing to make
- Provide education on evidence-based approaches and therapies
- Offer interventions such as regular follow up, meal replacements, medications, and/or surgical referrals
- When appropriate, Dr. Thomas can also assist with weight loss prior to surgery or assist after surgery should patients struggle with weight regain